Blue Mountain Map / Meaford Map to Collingwood Map
One of our Ontario Attraction Maps: This is a regional Map of the Blue Mountain area which stretches from the town of Collingwood in the east to Meaford on the southwest Edge of Nottawasaga Bay. Nottawasaga Bay is the southern part of Lake Huron's Georgian Bay. We have also included parts of Gray County which is the area from Meaford, Thornbury and Craigleith in the north to Markdale and Flesherton in the south. Singhampton, Creemore and Maple Valley are towns to the south of the Blue Mountians. This entire region, sometimes known as the Georgian Triangle is famous for picturesque views of Georgian Bay, the Niagara Escarpment, Blue Mountain and the Bruce Trail, which is a continuous public walking trail spanning the entire Niagara Escarpment from Niagara in southern Ontario to Tobermory in the Bruce Peninsula.
Meaford, incorporated as a town in 1875 and was named after Meaford Hall, the country seat of the Jervis family in Staffordshire. Today, it is one of the main towns associated with apple growing in Ontario. A part of the town was once known as Peggy's Landing, which was named after a poineer settler. Some of the points of interest in Meaford include: Beautiful Joe Park, which is based on the book “Beautiful Joe” by Margaret Marshal Saunders about an abused dog that lived in Meaford; (First book to sell 1 million copies - the park itself houses many memorials to working dogs including those for the blind and those lost in 911); Meaford Harbour Park; Memorial Park and Campground; WWII Memorial Stained Glass Windows at the Anglican Christ Church – (These windows were created using shards from many of the bombed out churches and Cathedrals in Europe during WWII. These shards were collected by the church Rev. Appleyard, who went over seas during the time of the war. Each window has its own story); Meaford Museum, which opened in 1961; Meaford Hall (built in the 1900's and recently renovated, is the loacation where the Georgian Theatre Festival and Academy performs in summer); Georgian Cycle and Ski Trail; Meaford Public Library; Meaford & St. Vincent Community Centre; Trout Hollow Trail- (A walk to the site which houses the Trout Mill, the place of work for famous conservationist John Muir, who lived in Meaford from June 1864 until March 1866); Chamber of Commerce Information Booth in the Big Apple on Sykes Street, harbour with marina and public boat launch, Canada Coast Guard Station active mid-April to December; Fairview Trailer Park; and Jolley’s Riding Toy Museum, which features all of those riding toys you remember from your youth. Some of the annual events include the Georgian Theatre Festival and the Apple Harvest Craft Show.
Collingwood was named after Admiral Collingwood who was second in command to Lord Nelson in the battle of Trafalgar. The town was the rail head of Ontario in the 1800's and became the shipment point for goods being shipped to Western Canada. The prevalance of ships in the area and the growth of the shipping industy created a need for ship repair and maintenance. The town soon became known as the "Collingwood Shipyards". The Shipyards area can still be seen today and is currently getting a new
face lift with a real estate development project for residences with views of the fabulous blue waterfront. The town today has a fabulous set of streets with shops, a variety of restaurants and a great location in between the bay and the mountain. The world famous Collingwood Elvis Festival has become an event that many have come to associate with the town of Collingwood. This is just one of many fantastic events and activities. Also see the Collingwood Chamber of Commerce for more information
The Blue Mountain Chamber of Commerce represents several villages and hamlets. It is the amalgamation of the former Town of Thornbury and the Township of Collingwood. The villages listed above including: The Village at Blue, Craigleith and Thornbury, as well as Clarksburg and Ravenna are represented by the Blue Mountain Chamber of Commerce. The hamlets that the chamber also represents include: Banks, Castle Glen, Gibraltar, Heathcote, Kolapore, Loree, Pretty River Valley, Redwing, Rock Union, Slabtown, Swiss Meadows and Victoria Corners.
The Village at Blue is becomming known as Ontario's new four season resort area. The idea to establish this community began in 1941 by Jozo and Helana Weider. Today, nestled in the hills of Blue Mountain, is the Village at Blue which offers year-round activities and adventures. Its pedestrian, music-filled streets are designed in "turn of the century Ontario architecture" with a central plaza and eclectic boutiques and resturants around the perimeter. Ski hills, mountian bike trails (flat and downhill), golf, tennis, gondola rides, zip lining, a suspension bridge, scenic caves, indoor aqua centre, hiking trails, a private beach, canoeing, kayaking, salon and spa, shopping, skating, curling, snowmobiling, dog sledding, and many more activities events and festivals are part of a list of things to do that seems endless.
Craigleith which is Gaelic for "Rocky Bay" was the name that Andrew Fleming gave to his land in Collingwood Township. It is an area famous for Craigleith Provincial Park and Northwinds Beach. Across from the beach there is an old CNR Railroad Depot stop where many skiers deboarded the trains in the 30's, 40's and 50's to enjoy the slopes of the Blue Mountains. This Depot is now being restored today as a Cultural Centre and remembrance of the history of skiing in Ontario. There are also several other
historical and cultural locations to view in Craigleith including the 1864 Craigleith Community School, the Shlale Oil Works of the late 1850's, and the Mary Ward Shoals (named after the steamship, Mary Ward, that was grounded in the shallow shoals at night, during a storm in November of 1872.
Thornbury, once referred to as Beaver River, is a historic waterfront village that has beautiful tree-lined streets of many elegant, old, architecturally significant homes. Bruce Street is the main street where many wealty business owners of the late 1800's lived. A mill owner from Ottawa named Solomon Olmstead was first to settle in the town. By the mid 1800's there were three mills and several other businesses established. It is uncertain how the town of Thornbury got its name. It is speculated
that either it is named after a town in London, or after the thorny bushes that grew around the mouth of the Beaver River. Two bridges can be seen in Thornbury today. One with a new "fish ladder" that helps the fish in their return up the river to spawn in early spring. The area is also known for growing apples. It was the previous home of Mitchell's Apple Juice and Golden Town Apple Products.
Markdale was settled in 1850 and was named after one of its early developers Mark Armstrong. The town was previously known as East Glenelg and also Corabus before Markdale. The town was incorporated as a village in 1888. It was a mill town, but also was a thriving business centre with a school, wagon shop, drug store and three churches. Barrhead Saw Mill is one of the oldest buildings that still stands today on the Rocky Saugeen River. Markdale today is the home to Chapmans Ice Cream manufacturer, a safety footwear manufacturer, a leather label manufacturer and an aluminum extrusion manufacturer. The points of interest in Markdale include: Rotary Park pond which offers unsupervised swimming in the summer, King Edward Park, the site of gymkhanas and the fall fair, the main street that hosts festivals right on the pavement, golf courses and tennis courts and the public library. Some of the annual events include: the rotary street frolic in July, the Ice Cream festival on the August long weekend, the August Antique Car Show and the Fall Fair. The Chamber of Commerce Information Booth in open in the summer months
at the Old Firehall on Highway 10.
Flesherton is known as the "gateway to the Beaver Valley". It has a rich heritage and has been a trading centre for all of its history. The highways near Flesherton follow the routes of the Durham Road and the Toronto and Sydenham Road. The points of interest include: The South Grey Museum, local artists' studios and galleries open to the public, nearby scenic areas at Hoggs Falls, Lake Eugenia, and Wilcox Lake, and the Public library. Some of the annual events include: Farmers Market at the area every Saturday from May to October, the Flesherton Antique Shows on the May long weekend and Thanksgiviing weekend, the Split Rail Festival in late September and the Autumn Leaves Studio Tour in October. The Chamber of Commerce has an information booth in the summer months at the stop light of Highways 4 & 10.
Creemore more information coming soon.
Bluewater Vacation Maps also provides links and information about products and services offered by local business as well as Georgian Bay property for sale. BlueWater Vacation Properties provides you with a comprehensive database to search for accommodations and the amenities that they offer worldwide. Send us an email with your comments, suggestions and questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
The following is a listing of businesses (by category) who have an advertisement inside of the Blue Mountain Area Map above. If you would like to see the advertisement click the name of the business. It is a link to their advertisement inside the map. If the business has a website or any other related links you will find these links below the name of the business. Provincial Parks do not have an advertisement page, but direct links to information on each particular park can be accessed by clicking the Ontario Parks logo on the map.
Provincial Parks in the Blue Mountain Map / Collingwood Map